Saturday, December 20, 2008

Multimedia message




Here is the beginning of a beautiful recipe. Budget friendly, healthy, yummy, all around great yogurt!

And the players are 2% milk, 1 can evaporated milk, 2 pkg of knox unflavored gelatin, and 2 8oz. containers of yogurt from last time, equaling 1 1/2 c.

Yogurt Recipe - Makes 2 qts.

Combine in a large bowl:

3 c. powdered milk

6 c. water

(I scalded 6 c. of 2% milk for this instead)

Stir well. Add:

1 can evaporated milk OR

1 2/3 c. scalded whole milk (2 % would work for this also, have not tried it yet though.)

Combine separately:

1/2 - 1/4 c. yogurt (My first batch I used store bought and 1 c. of it. My dad said it is better to err on the side of more yogurt, than less and have it be soupy. This time I am using the last 2 jars from my first batch and that equals to 1 1/2 c. )

1 c. of milk from bowl

2 pkg. unflavored gelatin, add to 1/2 c. cold water and heat up in microwave. Stir in to milk.

Blend until smooth and return to remaining milk. Mix well. Pour into clean jars, or some other container (I use my crock pot. Preferably it should be glass, porcelin, metal, brand new plastic container, etc. Because the yogurt will absorb the smell/taste from any old plastic or rubber container or porous surface.)

Allow to incubate for 3 to 6 hours. (This last time I left it to incubate overnight. It turned out fine and seemed to have a better consistency. Though once stored in the refrigerator the gelatin firmed it up very nicely too!)

No comments: